Saturday, May 3, 2014

So, this is the thing........

I have read many, many books on writing. I have read countless websites on writing. I have gone to writing groups and writing classes, both collegiate and iconoclastic.  While I doubt not the volume of knowledge and understanding I have yet to learn, I can feel my feet under firm earth.  I know how to walk and talk.  My wings are strong.  I can leave the nest.

Yet, I stand on the edge and flap.  One piece of repeated advice I cannot seem to master:  writers group.  I cannot seemingly keep up a relationship with a writer.  And because I cannot stand outside myself and judge my performance, I have no idea why.

One writer, whom I invested time in listening to his process and perception, yelled at me for unbidden support. How dare I cheer his progress?

I've had relationships with writers.  One was close.  I cherished it, until one day the "constructive" criticism came in the form of an unfounded insight.  Now, I will say, the insight struck me from out of the blue like lightening.  It hurt. A lot.  I took a year off from writing to attempt to correct my fallacy, which wasn't a waste because, in the long run, it made me a better writing.

However, what's that old sitcom adage?  If everyone has a problem with you, then the problem is you.

I know it's me.  It has to be me.  If I could only see the plank in my eye to pull it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment